Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I accidentally gave my dogs 1cc of banamine

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

What route (ie oral, injection)?

How much do the dos that have had this weigh?

What strength (milligrams per ml) was it?

50ml 3of the dogs 100lbs and the other 60lbs orally

Thank you,

Do you mean it was 50 mg per cc (or ml) you gave?

How long ago did you give it?

The bottle states 50mg/ml its benn about 20 minutes

Thank you again.

Now this is a drug used in dogs via injection on rare occasion, so its not an outright poisoning and we do have an idea of risks associated with this drug in dogs. Specifically it carries the risk of GI upset, gastritis, liver and kidney damage, and clotting issues.

Now considering the dose, none of these are overdoses for the injectable version. Still since we don't use this orally in dogs, we cannot assume that it will do no harm given this way. Therefore, the best option would be to err on the side of caution here for your dogs.

Since this was given orally so recently, there are some steps we can start now to help limit the risk here. To start, we can induce vomiting. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move each dog’s abdomen around or get them walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, plan to offer a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. As well, if any dog shows nausea, then we can also use an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if anyone has known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Overall, this is thankfully not an overdose but it has been given in a way that we do not have safety margins for dogs. Therefore, there is some risk here and if they had this 20 minutes ago, then the above steps would be best to get it out of their system and limit any harm from this. Of course, any of those signs I noted and we'd need them seen urgently for fluids and treatment to counter this further.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

**Please make sure to rate my answer as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply tome via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)