Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My male Chihuahua/Pug 2.5yrs fixed was house trained and

Customer Question
fine. Intro to new male...
My male Chihuahua/Pug 2.5yrs fixed was house trained and fine. Intro to new male human boyfriend in the house we believe has made him start marking inside the house. New male not frequent and now gone. Have read a lot of info which suggests staring toilet training from scratch which is a little difficult but possible. Main problem is that the marking occurs at night when we are asleep and cant attempt to control it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Unfortunately, this is a normal instinctive issue between the dogs. There are a few tips that will help. One is to place aluminum foil where he urinates. The noise of this will cause him to be startled and stop. make sure to clean these areas with a good odor neutralizer such as Nature's Miracle to discourage this behavior. Since this behavior is due to stress, purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store that acts as a calming agent to decrease this stress. Since he does this at night, crate train your guy so he is not loose during the night.
If this gets worse, I have had clients have luck with an ultrasonic collar. You will have to be present when this happens and use this device to startle him. I have also had good results using a coke can with pennies to shake and startle him and then say a string NO!!
Here is a LINK with more tips:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5584345_stop-male-dog-urinating-furniture.html

Keep working with your guy,,,now that the other dog is gone, these tips should help get him past this. Your vet will have medication for anxiety to help him past this if these tips do not help.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian