Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a lab weighs 101. i want to give baby asprin do u…

Customer Question
i have a lab weighs...
i have a lab weighs 101. i want to give baby asprin for stiffness do u have a chart telling u the dosage
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Maria

Sorry to hear Packer is a little uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

2. From the above the correct dose for a dog of Packer's weight would be { 5 mg X 101 pounds } = 505 mg twice a day. You have a very large dog so it will be more convenient to use adult aspirin rather than the low dose baby variety.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Maria,

I am just checking back in to see how Packer is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning aspirin dose ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott