Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Cocker Spaniel with horrible itching and constant licking of

Customer Question
paws. Can't figure if food...
Cocker Spaniel with horrible itching and constant licking of paws. Can't figure if food allergy or reaction to eye meds flurbifrofen, adequate & cyclosporine. Cataract surgery 6 years ago.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like you need to get in touch with a veterinary dermatologist. They will likely need to do allergy testing to find out what she is allergic to. If the diet trials didn't work and the symptomatic treatment isn't working, then it's time for allergy testing and immuno-therapy. This is by far the most helpful treatment for allergy and atopy in dogs.

Here is a nice write up on how to allergy test and do immuno-therapy in dogs. There is some expense initially, but in the long run it does end up being a cost effective option:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2430

The other thing worth discussing, is Apoquel. This is a relatively new treatment for allergies and itching in dogs. It can help bridge the gap until Immunotherapy starts working.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Cheryl Wilkinson,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian