Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My labrador has eaten 5 large dentastcks

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

How is he?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

About 1 hr ago seems ok no obvious sign of pain

Thank you,

I am very glad to hear that Chester is well in himself and comfortable here.

Now the concerns with this situation is that eating so many Dentasticks could cause a "food bloat". When this happens, we often see abdominal pain, distension, gas expulsion (via burping or farting), nausea, +/- vomiting or diarrhea. Now in many cases this is often something that resolves on it's own over 24-48 hours without any specific intervention. That said, we do always need to tread with case since some dogs can be at risk of pancreatitis, dehydration, gut twists, or be quite poorly with such over indulgence.

Still, if he is comfortable despite this, we can just monitor at this stage. Of course, while doing so we need to keep an eye on those signs I mentioned. As well, since this is a dry type foodstuff and could trigger dehydration and electrolyte imbalances; we need to keep an eye out for any skin tenting, sunken eyes, sticky gums, weakness or lethargy. If we did see those signs, then we'd want to have his local vet give fluids while he is processing and passing all the excess food.

As well, the other concern is that these sticks are often quite fatty (which is what makes them taste nice). Therefore, we do have to be vigilant about the possibility of him developing a secondary inflammation of his pancreas (pancreatitis). So, if we see any vomiting, appetite loss, or belly pain after this material passes, he may need to see his vet for treatment (mild cases often just need pain relief, anti-vomiting medication, low fat diets +/- antibiotics but severe cases often require IV fluids).

Otherwise, as long as he is comfortable, you can continue to monitor for the next 48 hours. As long as he isn't non-productive retching or straining (signs of a gut twist), his gums stay pink, his breathing stays at a normal rate (20-30 breaths per minute), distress or the above, we're happy. Any changes to this, and we'd want him seen urgently.

Otherwise, plan to just give small amounts of water (1/4-1/2 cup) every 1-2 hours (we keep this low because we don't want to increase any swelling the treat). As well, plan to withhold food for 24 hours. After that time frame has passed, resume feeding but only give 25-50% of his normal meal size. Once 48 hours have passed, provided all has settled, you can restart his normal feeding routine.

Overall, food bloat can lead to severe issues but if he isn't showing any of those signs, then we can monitor and use supportive care to help keep him settled as he digests these.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chester. How is everything going?
nekovet

**Please make sure to rate my answer as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply tome via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian