Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a small dog her name is Bella she is 7yrs old a few…

Customer Question
Hi I have a small...
Hi I have a small dog her name is ***** ***** is 7yrs old a few weeks ago she had 2 knots that came up on each side of her neck I took her to the vet they gave her2 meds and they went down some got up Thursday they we're swell up and she is shaking all over and won't move very much pleases help me baby
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

The first question with these masses/swellings/knots if if they are just at the point where the jaw articulates with the neck, which means they are lymph nodes. If that is the case, then further testing his needed today. These need to be aspirated and the sample submitted to a pathologist to look for cancer (lymphosarcoma) versus infection (fungal, bacterial, etc). As well, I always recommend screening for tick-borne diseases that could cause this type of swelling AND any appropriate fungal diseases for your area. IF not already done, it is also important to do general screening lab work with a CBC, chemistry profile and urine check to see her general health. With this information we can usually narrow down what is going on.

If we are certain these are NOT lymph nodes, then it is time to find out what they are. This will require needle aspirations (or biopsy) which is then submitted to a pathologist (not read in-house) as the appropriate next step. I also would recommend the lab work noted above as a general health screen to ensure if these are infections that she has a good immune system to clear this.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey