Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dachshunds cant walk on her back legs and just scoots…

Customer Question
my dachshunds cant walk on...
my dachshunds cant walk on her back legs and just scoots across the floor and wont eat
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

Sorry to hear about your dog. This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How long has she been like this and did it happen suddenly?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

since last night
suddenly

Again, sorry to hear about your Dachshund's problem, unfortunately these sorts of symptoms can be very serious in your breed. However I have worked out an answer for you below, please read it through and see what you think.

1. Dachshunds are very prone to back conditions, these are very often slipped disk type lesions and this could well be going on in your case because they are often sudden onset with no real history of trauma and some degree of hind end paralysis is typical. Your breed is very prone to this because of their long elongated backs with tend to bend in the middle and so pressure the spinal cord.

2. If this is the diagnosis then unfortunately there is little you can hope to do on a home remedy basis, except rest your dog. The best plan would be to keep your dog as still as possible and keep her as comfortable and reassured as possible in the meantime and then get her to a vet as soon as this can be arranged.

3. The treatment of these conditions just depends on how much pressure has been applied to the spinal cord by the slipped disk, some cases can be handled by strict rest combined with anti-inflammatory drugs but other cases may need surgery. An x-ray session or other imaging will help your vet decide on the appropriate therapy and the best way to go. Time can be of the essence in these cases is surgery is going to be required ...

4. Here is a link to an article which covers the subject of back problems in your breed : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Dachshund is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the hind leg paralysis ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian