Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dragging rear legs after colliding with bigger dog. he is a…

Customer Question
Dragging rear legs after...

Dragging rear legs after colliding with bigger dog. he is a maltese

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound. he will not let us touch his rear end

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?

He is a stray that wondered up to the house a few days ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the stray dog?

I took his to get groomed the other day it was bad. but now this.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Gabby,

Usually if they are dragging their hind legs after a collision there is a back injury. There are spongy discs between the bony vertebrae. If injured the disc material can bulge out or completely herniate out. This causes abnormal pressure on the surrounding nerves and spinal cord. That causes the legs to drag because the nerve or spinal cord signals are not going through.

He definitely needs to see a vet. The treatment may be cortisone and strict rest. Muscle relaxers may be prescribed as well.

Until you can get him to a vet you can give him aspirin. It has to be aspirin and nothing else. 5 mg of aspirin per each pound of dog every 12 hours. Give it with a meal to help prevent gastrointestinal upset.

Keep him confined. If he moves around he could further damage his spinal cord and become paralyzed.

Carry him out to go the bathroom.

If you are not planning on adopting him as yours I would take him to the humane society or maltese rescue.

Do a google search "maltese rescue and the state you live in."

I was an SPCA vet for three years and the little dogs get adopted more frequently.

If you are going to be his new home that is great and he is lucky to have you.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?