Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How do you get a miniature sized Maltese Puppy from a normal…

Customer Question
How do you get a...
How do you get a miniature sized Maltese Puppy from a normal sized sire to start with
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Miniaturizing a breed starting with a normal sized sire is done by breeding the sire with the smallest unrelated female available. Once the litter has reached maturity or, at least, the time when most growth has occurred (usually 6-9 months in Maltese), the smallest female of the litter is then bred to the smallest sire available (not the original sire which would result in undesirable inbreeding) or the smallest male of the litter is then used as a sire with the smallest unrelated female. The cycle repeats until you've achieved the size you desire.

Miniaturizing is not without its risks because all tissues don't miniaturize at the same rate. Anatomical anomalies might arise.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?