Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I took my three-year-old Lhasa Opsa Shih Tzu mix male dog to…

Customer Question
I took my three-year-old Lhasa...
I took my three-year-old Lhasa Opsa Shih Tzu mix male dog to his Vet last Wednesday for his yearly wellness check up and to get his three year vaccinations done. On Thursday I received a call from the Vet telling me his kidney disease is in the third stage. I was never told he had kidney disease . Since last Wednesday I have spent almost $1000 dollars for test K/D food pills saline fluid. I can't afford this. The Vet now wants me to have an ultrasound of his kidneys done and to put him in the hospital because he is not eating, I have had Prince since he was three. I have gone to the same Vet office since I have had him. I got a copy of his records and this time last year was when his BUN and creatnine levels were very high. I have read about this disease in dogs and once they get to stage three there is nothing more that can be done. Any suggestions.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about Prince! Do you think you could either scan the copy of his lab work in or just write in the values of his test results here so I can look at them and see how badly things appear? The ones from last year would be helpful as well!

2/3/2015
Urea Nitrogen 65
Creatinine 2.3
Bun/Creatinine 28
Potassium 4.5
2/5/2016
Urea Nitrogen 79
Creatinine 3.1
Bun/creatinine 25
Potassium 6.3

I am so sorry to hear about your dog! I am sorry as well that your vet didn't say anything to you about the bloodwork last year? Did someone else take himt o the vet for you that could have forgotten to mention it? Did the vet give any explanation for this? It appears that your dog has been in Stage 3 Kidney disease since last year (creatinine above 2.0 is considered stage to by the IRIS guidelines which is the International Renal Interest Society and sets the standards for staging and treating kidney disease). ,

Have they tested his blood pressure? What medications is he on now? Stage 3 is considered moderate renal disease, where systemic signs of illness can begin to show up. But oftentimes these dogs are still manageable if owners are able to medicate them and afford the food and medications.

I am the only person who has ever taken him to the Vet. Last Wednesday there was a new Vet who saw Prince. I told her when she called me last Thursday and gave me his results that if it were not for her I would of never known that he had kidney disease. It clearly states in his records from last year my concerns with how much water he drinks and his frequent urination. I thought he was diabetic. I told them he shakes and twitches as if he is having a seizure. How he bangs his head against things and seems out of it at times His appetite is decreased and he seems very sad. I read his records and a phone call was never made to me regarding his blood work last year. Last week when I was called about his blood work the Vet wrote in his chart that she spoke to me on the phone. The Vet who saw him last year at this office screwed up and my dog is paying for it. His pressure was taken yesterday and he was 90/70. My only child is in college and she does not qualify for any financial age so I pay her full out of state tuition. I am a physician who is now permanently disabled. I want to do the humane thing where Prince is concerned. He wakes up to go to sleep. He does not do much of anything anymore. This is day two that he has not eaten. I just feel very sad that this has happened and I need to make some decisions regarding him, I do not want to give up on him but I do not want to keep paying for things and the outcome is the same. He is my companion but I have to put my feelings aside and do what is best for him.

Gosh, what an awful frustrating situation for you!!! I think what you have to decide is how aggressive you want to try, knowing that this isn't a problem that is going to go away. Sometimes with medications such as antacids, appetite stimulants, phosphorus binders, and fluid therapy, we can help them perk up and have more energy and start eating again, but we are faced with the fact that these issues will likely return. At some point we will get to a moment when no matter what we do, it isn't going to help. That could be in a month, it could be in two years. I cannot tell you that for sure. But, he is not going to be a low maintenance pet. If you get him through this episode, he is going to require regular fluids, medications, and bloodwork and blood pressure and urine monitoring, none of which is cheap! I am going to attach a link here to the IRIS website, which will give you information about the staging of kidney disease as well as the treatment guidelines. Since you are familiar with medical terminology, you may find it helpful! http://iris-kidney.com/guidelines/index.aspx

Please let me know if you have any other questions or I can elaborate on anything for you. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck with your dog!