Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog's third eye lid is covering half of my dogs eye. This…

Customer Question
My dog's third eye lid...
My dog's third eye lid is covering half of my dogs eye. This has been about 3 weeks. Now that eye seems to be bulging. The dog is eating and drinking and playing normally. She is a greyhound mix and 11 years old.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This displacement of the third eyelid tells us that there is a problem but we do not know what the problem is until we can run diagnostics. Since one eye is bulging, the possibilities for this is Glaucoma, infection such as an abscess behind Patches eye or tumors. It is very important, considering Patches age, that tests be run to determine what is causing this in your sweet gal, Patches. The testing will determine what treatment is best. Infection and/or an abscess will be drained and treated with antibiotics. Glaucoma is treated with medications to decrease the fluid filling the eye and a tumor will be treated by what is the nature of the mass.

For now, continue with the treatment you are doing until you can see your vet for further testing.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Patches died last week. She had a tumor behind her eye. No expensive tests. Just a good vet who looked at her and knew what was wrong.
Patches was 11 years old. Why would anyone suggest putting her through painful and expensive tests. She is now out of pain.

Oh my!! I am so so sorry!! I know you loved Patches very much and at least you did the right thing for her.

Again, I am so sorry!! I know this is hard!!

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian