Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Weird Body Spasms Jerking, He came to me acting sheepish and…

Customer Question
Weird Body Spasms Jerking ...

Weird Body Spasms Jerking

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

He came to me acting sheepish and as I patted him his body starts to kind of jerk

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

There doesn't seem to be a spot that is in pain. Just a fit of this jerking behaviour like hiccups but not vomiting or anything

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Bruno is a Kelpie X Collie and is about four

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruno?

No he's really otherwise very healthy

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did the jerking stop?

2- Has this ever happened before?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Did he get into anything?

Thanks Peter I took him to the Hospital. Had a blood test and they gave him diazepam. The blood tests were in the normal range, but his pupils were dilated, and he was a bit dehydrated. The Seizure or whatever it was stopped, so I've brought him home, he's had a big drink of water and will be monitored through the night. That's about all I could tell further.It has never happened before. There are no pre-existing conditions. We go to the same park from an hour every evening where he's off lead, but you can never be too careful that they don't eat something that shouldn't be there.

Thank you for the update. I am happy to learn he is doing better and has been seen by a veterinarian.