Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 5-year old black dobie who loves to sun bathe

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 5-year old...
I have a 5-year old black dobie who loves to sun bathe everyday. I'm worried he may have some type of melanoma but pray its benign. The vet says I should remove the tumor growth on his leg and do a biopsy of it. I was just wondering if these symptoms look and sound familiar.
In the last few months I've noticed a few changes:
1. A raised darkened tumor looking growth on his outter right leg that had grown twice in size over the past 3-4 months.
2. He has reoccurring infection/blister in between is toe beds. I heard this could be typically misdiagnosed as just a reoccurring infection when it actually can be melanoma.
Could any of these be malignant melanoma? Crossing fingers its not! Thanks for your feedback!
I can send you images of the lesions/tumors/blisters, however I don't know how to upload them to this site. Thanks so much for your help and direction.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, you can post photos via the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Otherwise, based on your description, the first mass would be considered suspicious for a melanoma if not another rapidly growing mass type. In any case, if it is on the leg and growing that quickly, then no matter its type it should be removed while it is still small enough to be fully excised. This is quite important since even benign masses can grow big enough to cause problems on legs (ie stretching the skin to the point of ulceration, infection, etc). Therefore, it would be best to have this removed as soon as possible and you can even send the whole mass for analysis to see what it is and whether it was fully removed with clean margins.

Otherwise, the second recurrent blister does sound more suspicious of an interdigital cyst. Though if we are having the suspicious one removed, you can have that one taken or at lease sampled at the same time to just make sure it holds no risk for your lad.

Please take care and I will keep an eye out for your photos,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)