Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What can I do to help my puppy because he has cerebral palsy…

Customer Question
What can I do to...
What can I do to help my puppy because he has cerebral palsy and he is always falling
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear about your puppy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Dogs do not get get the condition known as cerebral palsy that human babies get. The best way to help your puppy is to find out what is actually wrong with him.

This could be low blood sugar, which is seen in young small breed dogs. It could also be hydrocephalus, water on the brain, which is also seen in young Chihuahuas. You need to get a diagnosis of what is wrong to know the best treatment. Have you had him examined by a veterinarian yet for this problem?

I looked up that hydrocephalus and my puppy head isn't big but he wobble when he walks and he flips over and he tends to act like a bird when he eats he always flips until he gets his balance. When he runs he is normal but when he is just walking he lose his balance

Not all dog with hydrocephalus have a large head so this could still be hydrocephalus. It could be another condition besides hydrocephalus, but something is affecting his nervous system.

It is hard to know the best treatment without knowing what his problem his. I would start with a thorough physical and neurologic examination to try to learn where and what his problem is.

I am sorry he has this problem; it must be hard to see him like this. You should start by having your veterinarian take a look at him and testing his reflexes, etc. I wish I could tell you what is wrong but I would need to see and examine him, look in his eyes, test his reflexes, etc.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am sorry but I can't make phone calls for the website. I can answer questions here, or I can opt out and you can wait for an expert that can make calls.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian