Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My vet said that my dog (Male, Bichon Cross, 10 yo, 13.7

Customer Question
lbs) may have cancer and...
My vet said that my dog (Male, Bichon Cross, 10 yo, 13.7 lbs) may have cancer and it may be wrapping around some muscles and perhaps some internal organs. This started as cyst or a large pimple that has been getting bigger over the past two months. And it finally broke today. This “growth developed on his left shoulder area. The vet was able to squeeze quite a bit of subcutaneous (white buttery-like material) from the growth - approximately one to two tablespoons.
He wants me to bath the wound with Hibitane Skin Cleanser and “pack” in some Hibitane ointment into the wound twice a day. Also, I’m supposed give my dog 1½ Clavaseptin (50 mg) every 12 hours. I’m supposed to conduct this regime for the next week.
In addition, my vet said that surgery is only a 50-50 proposition because of the possibility of this cyst maybe entwined with other organs and because of his other conditions. My pup is also taking Benazeprip (5 mg), Teva Hydrochlorothiazsaide (25 mg), Aldactone (25 mg) for a heart valve flutter and Torbutrol (1 mg) for a cough.
My dog doesn’t appear to be in any discomfort and only “Squeaked” twice while the vet was squeezing this cyst to remove some of the subcutaneous material. The vet wants to do this for a week and then see if there are any changes. At this point I am very distraught about any prognosis. He has to have the surgery to obtain a biopsy. or he could pass away in a matter of months if the cyst is malignant. On the other hand, if the cyst isn’t malignant he may not survive the surgery because of his other problems and this cyst may not even be cancerous.
What do you do? I don’t want him to die because he is quite you and he’s very very good not to mention the companionship that he has been. He is the only thing I have left.
I want him to live as long as possible with a minimum amount of pain.
Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. I would strongly recommend that you seek a second opinion and I would be happy to help you with this. I can find you a specialist in your area that can help determine if what you have been told so far is correct. What city do you live in or near?

HI this is DRB again. I honestly think the best possible course of action would be to get a second opinion. You can send a pic to me if you would like and I would be happy to look at it but these things are better seen and judged in person. So however you would like to proceed would be fine with me. Just let me know. I check my computer every night.

Feel free to leave your wishes here and I will get back to you.SIncerely, DRB

I will check back with you in the am....Sincerely, DRB

I am checking back with you to see how you would like to proceed. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated.Thank you very much!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian