How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr B Your Own Question
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1366
Experience:  DVM
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr B is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My vet said that my dog (Male, Bichon Cross, 10 yo, 13.7

Customer Question

My vet said that my dog (Male, Bichon Cross, 10 yo, 13.7 lbs) may have cancer and it may be wrapping around some muscles and perhaps some internal organs. This started as cyst or a large pimple that has been getting bigger over the past two months. And it finally broke today. This “growth developed on his left shoulder area. The vet was able to squeeze quite a bit of subcutaneous (white buttery-like material) from the growth - approximately one to two tablespoons.
He wants me to bath the wound with Hibitane Skin Cleanser and “pack” in some Hibitane ointment into the wound twice a day. Also, I’m supposed give my dog 1½ Clavaseptin (50 mg) every 12 hours. I’m supposed to conduct this regime for the next week.
In addition, my vet said that surgery is only a 50-50 proposition because of the possibility of this cyst maybe entwined with other organs and because of his other conditions. My pup is also taking Benazeprip (5 mg), Teva Hydrochlorothiazsaide (25 mg), Aldactone (25 mg) for a heart valve flutter and Torbutrol (1 mg) for a cough.
My dog doesn’t appear to be in any discomfort and only “Squeaked” twice while the vet was squeezing this cyst to remove some of the subcutaneous material. The vet wants to do this for a week and then see if there are any changes. At this point I am very distraught about any prognosis. He has to have the surgery to obtain a biopsy. or he could pass away in a matter of months if the cyst is malignant. On the other hand, if the cyst isn’t malignant he may not survive the surgery because of his other problems and this cyst may not even be cancerous.
What do you do? I don’t want him to die because he is quite you and he’s very very good not to mention the companionship that he has been. He is the only thing I have left.
I want him to live as long as possible with a minimum amount of pain.
Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. I would strongly recommend that you seek a second opinion and I would be happy to help you with this. I can find you a specialist in your area that can help determine if what you have been told so far is correct. What city do you live in or near?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB again. I honestly think the best possible course of action would be to get a second opinion. You can send a pic to me if you would like and I would be happy to look at it but these things are better seen and judged in person. So however you would like to proceed would be fine with me. Just let me know. I check my computer every night.

Feel free to leave your wishes here and I will get back to you.SIncerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I will check back with you in the am....Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I am checking back with you to see how you would like to proceed. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated.Thank you very much!

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B