Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I had my yard sprayed this morning. It's suppose to be safe…

Customer Question
I had my yard sprayed...
I had my yard sprayed for bugs this morning. It's suppose to be safe for pets when dry. He went out on it after about 7 hours. I found him chewing on something. Shortly after he started drooling a lot. How do I know if he is ok?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you know the name of the spray?

No but it is suppose to be safe after it dries

1- Is he showing any other signs besides drooling?

2- How much does he weigh?

25 pounds

Is he showing any other symptoms?

No

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, depending on the type of spray that was used will depend on the potential for toxicity. Drooling certainly could be a sign of ingestion some of the chemicals. Or, it could be a sign of something completely different like: Nausea, oral discomfort, etc. This is what you can do:

1- Give him some milk; if he did ingest some of the chemical the milk will help dilute it.

2- Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy.

3- Do Not give things like pepto bismol.

4- Symptoms that would require a vet visit are: Anorexia, lethargy, tremors, difficulty walking, vomiting excessively, etc.

5- If he is still drooling in the morning after doing the above I would have him checked by family veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter