Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 14 yr husky shepard mix paced from one end of the house…

Customer Question
My 14 yr husky shepard...
My 14 yr husky shepard mix paced from one end of the house to another lst night, respiratory rate around 100 breaths a minute, seemed out of it, would not follow usual commands.... Did this for several hours.... Couldn't seem to connect with her ... Reminded me of a snail bait poisening a prior dog of mine had...though we don't know how she would have gotten any.
she has a bad hip treated with daily anti-inflammatory....otherwise healthy old dog.
Have you seen this? She was tired but status quo back to her regular self today.
Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. There are a couple things I would be concerned about here. It is entirely possible that she had a seizure and was in the post ictal phase, where they are very disoriented. You may also see these symptoms with dementia in dogs. Being that she is acting normal now, that probably isn't the case, but it could still be early enough to be sure. Lastly, there can be an internal organ system issue that can affect the neurological system. A liver problem or even a brain tumor can cause symptoms like this that are intermittent. If acting normal, I would just monitor him and keep your appointment for Friday. If you see these symptoms again, try to get it on video for your vet to see. I am leaning towards a seizure as the cause right now based on what you described. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.