Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy is sick, Loss of appetite. Throwing up. Worms in…

Customer Question
My puppy is sick ...

My puppy is sick

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your puppy?

Loss of appetite. Throwing up. Worms in stool

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your puppy eat anything unusual?

No. He is 8 weeks old. we picked him up saturday. He was happy and playful. Sunday, he stopped eating/drinking, starting thwoing up white/clear foam, and became lethargic. We took him to the clinic where they gave him antibiotics and anti-nausea medication. He was back to normal yesterday (monday) and is back to sick again today. I found two long worms in his stool along with blood.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Hank. He had his parvo shot saturday right before we picked him up.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Can the worms be causing his ailment? I think it is odd he seemed fine saturday, was sick sunday, seemed okay again monday, and is back to sick today. I have heard horror stories of parvo shots giving dogs the very illness they are meant to protect them from - is any of that true?
Oh yeah, the vet on sunday tested for parvo and it came back negative.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your puppy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The worms you describe sound like roundworms which are common in puppies and can cause vomiting. Has he been given any worm medication?

Since the tested for parvo, and the test was negative, it does not sound like this is parvo thank goodness. A puppy is not protected by vaccination until at least 2 vaccinations are given and the second one is when the puppy is at least 14 weeks old. So a puppy with only one vaccination against parvo can get parvo, not because the vaccination caused illness, but because the puppy is not fully protected at this age.

Many things can cause a puppy to vomit. There are other viruses besides parvo, bacterial infections and parasites. I would worm him with pyrantel for the worms you see, and test for worms you cannot see. Hookworms and whipworms can make a puppy sick but area too small to see without a microscope.

If he is vomiting, do not try to feed him but try small amounts of water or broth or Pedialyte. Check to be sure his gums are pink, not pale. If he has pale gums, he may need to see you veterinarian as soon as possible. Let me know what else I can answer.

How is your puppy doing?

The fecal parvo test performed Sunday was a false negative. Our regular vet ran blood work Wednesday (as well as a sub-dermal hydrations and more anti-nausea) and confirmed Thursday morning he tested positive for Parvo. The parasite test was negative. They think the roundowrms found were remnants of a recent deworming.
Luckily, he is now eating and holding it down. He is still not drinking but we are sneaking fluids in with his food (he LOVES canned chicken - we dry the chicken by wrapping it with a coffee filter and compressing it, then saturate it with pedialite and chicken broth). We are hoping he is on the downswing of his Parvo. Today is day 6. He is no longer vomiting but has controlled diarrhea (he is going outside). He is trying to pass solid stool but is having a hard time getting it out.
We have an order of Parvaid coming in today to ease his comfort and are visiting the vet this afternoon. From Saturday to Wednesday he droppped from 12lbs to 9lbs. We hope to see him up and active in a few days and getting his weight back in the next couple weeks.
Our vet said he would be contagious for another two weeks so he will be in puppy quarantine.
He is one tough pup. He was the only puppy from his litter to survive an infection contracted from the mother (who also passed) during week 1. Now he just about has Parvo under his belt and did most of it with minimal treatment. I wish all dogs who suffered Parvo could have the same fate as Hank.

I am so sorry to hear he has parvo and the first test was a false positive. Usually once a puppy stops vomiting and starts to eat the worst is over. He should gain that weight back soon.

That is so sad that his litter and his mother died; poor guy! Thank you for the update and congratulations for pulling him through. Let me know how he is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian