Dog Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** my puppy of 3 months which was a

Hello my name is...

Hello my name is ***** ***** my puppy of 3 months which was a stray had heavy breathing, rectal bleeding, very weak tired constantly and then had pale gums. he died earlier today. i found him 3 weeks ago covered in ticks fleas and had worms his coat was patchy and infected. i got rid of the ticks and... Read full answer

Hello my name is ***** ***** my puppy of 3 months which was a stray had heavy breathing, rectal bleeding, very weak tired constantly and then had pale gums. he died earlier today. i found him 3 weeks ago covered in ticks fleas and had worms his coat was patchy and infected. i got rid of the ticks and fleas and de wormed him but his stools were always very dark in colour black even and took him to the vet 4 times over the corse of the 3 weeks as his breathing just kept getting worse and he was really tired all the time. the vets kept giving him antibiotics. the last time i took him was this moring and i just wanted to know if their was anything i could have done.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I still don't know why he died what was wrong that i could not fix

2/6/2016
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about this puppy.

It sounds like he may have had Parvo virus. I would suspect that they would have tested for that, but if not, that would be the most likely. If they tested for it and it was negative, then it's pretty much ruled out. We can have false negatives, but they are uncommon.

If it was not Parvo, then I would put Distemper Virus as the most likely. This can lead to skin issues, bowel issues and also neurologic signs. Ultimately, it is fatal in most puppies that it affects. It can also be very difficult to diagnose, as we don't have a blood test for it. We can sometimes see the viral inclusion bodies on a blood smear. More often than not, we diagnose it based on signs as opposed to any other test.

I'm sorry again for your loss, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a stray do who came upnand had pups under my house.
Hi i have a stray do who came upnand had pups under my house. We got the pups out at three weeks old, but they have lots of fleas. I had read diamomacious earth could be used safely for fleas. Also is… read more
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Veterinarian,
BA
I have a 3 year old terrier mix named Bentley. He is a house
I have a 3 year old terrier mix named Bentley. He is a house dog that goes outside to potty and then back inside. This morning he started acting a little lethargic meaning he wasn't going crazy when i… read more
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
I have a 2 year old Great Dane about 115lbs. A couple months
I have a 2 year old Great Dane about 115lbs. A couple months ago he was diagnosed with Addison's. He is on a cortisol shot once a month and Prednisone (10mg) pill every other day. Earlier this week (M… read more
Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
My dog has a bit of a temperature and is breathing heavily.
Hi, my dog has a bit of a temperature and is breathing heavily. He's an older guy and was checked out for a vertigo issue earlier in the day. He's quite lethargic now though. … read more
Dr B
Dr B
My dog had worms, I gave him the de-wormer, he also has
my dog had worms , I gave him the de-wormer, he also has black spots around the bottom part of his belly and licking the area non-stop, I kept it washed, however it is also very hot, today he cant wal… read more
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Doctors Degree
What is the best possible way to get rid of fleas on my dogs
What is the best possible way to get rid of fleas on my dogs and out of my house I have tried all sorts of shampoo and everything and the vet I take them to only really says the pills but I have tried… read more
Dog Behaviorist/Trainer/Breeder/Health,
3.75 GPA 36cr. Multiple Tech traini
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My new roommate has a stray dog he brought back from Africa
My new roommate has a stray dog he brought back from Africa and he didn't tell me when I moved in but the dog is sick with lots of worms that apparently were resistant to prescription 2 in 1 flea and … read more
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Veterinarian,
My German Shepard had a lot of eye discharge (thick white to green) 2-3 days later we noti
My German Shepard had a lot of eye discharge (thick white to green) 2-3 days later we noticed he had some back leg pain and looks like maybe some rashes and hair loss/chew marks which I have seen b 4 … read more
Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine,
I have a 11 yr old pit bull, lazy most of the time, and lives
I have a 11 yr old pit bull, lazy most of the time, and lives in the house, and has a lot of skin issues. He killed a cat 5 nights ago, usually this makes him tired and sore for about 3 days. But, of … read more
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Large and small animal Veterinarian,
I have a 9 week old male Yorkie. I have had him for a week
I have a 9 week old male Yorkie. I have had him for a week now. I noticed earlier when I took him out to potty when I was cleaning up after him it appeared he had some rice looking items in his feces.… read more
DrChristineM
DrChristineM
Associate Veterinarian,
we recently found a neglected puppy outside in arizona we brought
we recently found a neglected puppy outside in arizona we brought him home covered in fleas and ticks and he had diarrhea we gave him a flea and tick bath de worming kit and his first set of shots the… read more
Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson
Associate Veterinarian,
I have a 3-4 pound Yorkie who I think is constipated. His belly
I have a 3-4 pound Yorkie who I think is constipated. His belly is swollen, he is breathing heavy, he cannot defecate, he will not eat or drink anything,and is now whining constantly. I have given him… read more
Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
Pug suddenly anemic, labored breathing that almost seems painful,
Pug suddenly anemic, labored breathing that almost seems painful, lethargic, loss of appitite. Please help me figure this out... The only thing I could get out of it is he was completely covered in fl… read more
Dr. Lazarcheff
Dr. Lazarcheff
Emergency and Critical Care Veterinarian,
cat: sweet..de-flead..blood work was told he had leukemia..put down
Hi, i found a very sweet stray cat who has been living in our garage. took him to the vet to get de-flea'd and to get neuteured, but during the blood work was told he had leukemia and they advised he … read more
Veterinarian,
puppy: stray..around the 6 week old range..bowel movement..antibiotics
i just took in a stray puppy around the 6 week old range, it started acting increasingly tired after two days of having it....diarrehea has been constant..we de-wormed it about 5 days ago, he is still… read more
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Doctors Degree
pugs: flea..tick..worms..sure shot 2xs liquid wormer one time
I have 2 pugs 4 years & 5 years old. They are experiencing itching and they are anxious and breathing heavy and we treated them a few days ago with sergeant's gold flea & tick squeeze on. They were al… read more
Dr. Beall
Dr. Beall
Veterinarian/Owner,
Healthy 7 year old yellow lab.100lbs dull eyes, warm nose.
Healthy 7 year old yellow lab.100lbs dull eyes, warm nose. Took temp under arm (take care of kids that is the only way I know to do this). 102.2. In kids you add a degree for under arm. Found dead tic… read more
Dr. John
Dr. John
Veterinarian,
dog: using frontline all summer..2 months ago I noticed fleas..bedding
I have been using frontline all summer. 2 months ago I noticed fleas on my dog and I can't get rid of them. I have washed bedding and cleaned the house. How do I get rid of these fleas?… read more
Veterinarian,