Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 yr 55# female boxer just had cruciate ligament repair…

Customer Question
my 10 yr 55# *****...
my 10 yr 55# ***** boxer just had cruciate ligament repair surgery 1 wk ago.....she is not even trying to bear weight on it and will not tolerate much PT......should I be concerned or will she touch it down when she is ready....
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

What do you mean when you say that she "won't tolerate much PT"? Is she trying to bite you when you try to do PT with her? Or does she just sit down and refuse to stand?

Was it a TPLO surgery, or the more common MRIT surgery? (Did they put a bone plate in or not)

She bit me the first time and she is not a dog that does that

Did they put a bone plate in, or just suture material around the knee?

No bone plate....more stableization from the "drawer" movement...if that makes any sense

Yes, that clarifies it. Hold on a second while I consult with a surgeon.

It has been 1wk and 3 days since surg...she seems to be more herself than earlier....which is understandable. ..and her incision looks great.....

Okay. The surgeon said that not bearing weight on the leg is not uncommon at this point after the surgery because some dogs are more sensitive. I recommend the following:

1. Moist heat application will help increase blood flow to the area and relax tense muscles. We recommend using a clean washcloth moistened with warm water - heat should be applied 2-3 times a day for a period of 10 to 20 minutes each time.
  2. Massage will improve blood and lymphatic flow to the area, which increases available nutrients to an area and promotes waste products and fluid removal. Massage also aids muscle relaxation. The muscles are grasped between the thumb and index finger and gently elevated. The tissues are then compressed alternately between the fingers of one hand and the heel of the other hand. Massage should be firm. Perform for 5 to 10 minutes every day.
  3. Passive Range of Motion (PROM) is very important in the prevention of tissue adhesions, promotion of normal joint movement, enhancement of blood and lymphatic flow, and prevention of muscle and joint contracture. Usually, this mode of therapy may be started after sutures are removed. You can move the leg in a normal walking/running motion, slowly and gently, for 5 minutes twice a day.
  4. Ask your surgeon for more pain medication if your dog still seems painful- every dog is different! Try to go on walks twice a day and encourage her to use the leg.
  5. If she is still not putting any weight on the leg at all in 4 days, you should recheck with the surgeon.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

R u still there...?

Yes, did you not get my response?

now I got it.....thank you for your time

You are most welcome! Let me know if you have further questions, and please remember to rate my service so that I will receive credit for assisting you. Take care!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Ann M.