Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm just concerned about my 10 year female shih tzu. Last week…

Customer Question
I'm just concerned about my...
I'm just concerned about my 10 year female shih tzu. Last week she had some sort of severe allergic reaction to something unknown. I took her to my vet, which I love, and her temp was 106. Her entire body was broken out in hives and open sores from the constant scratching she did during the night before the vet opened that next morning. They kept her until her fever came down and pushed IV fluids into her. I was given oral antibiotics and an oral steroid for her. Now she is doing this weird stomach convulsing every few seconds. She also has occasional vomiting if not given the meds with enough food. I'm just wondering if an upset stomach from the meds can cause this with her stomach.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your pup! How very scary! It is certainly possible that the medications could be giving her an upset stomach. Is she acting like she is going to vomit/retching? Or is her skin over her belly twitching? Is she otherwise alert and responsive?
No she isn't acting like she's going to throw up or dry heaving or anything. It almost kind of looks like she has the hiccups by the way the middle of her body moves. But it's been happening for the 3rd day now. And yes other than being a little less lovey dovey but she still responds the same as always when it's treat time or when she wants to go with me in the mornings to get my coffee
And is it happening all day long? Is her breathing normal? Can you take her respiratory rate (count how many breaths she takes in a minute).
Yes happening all day and all night for three days now. Breathing is normal. Her rate is approximately 15-16 breaths per minute
Hmmm. Have you talked to your vet about this? I would recommend bringing him in for your vet to examine, and also taking a video of what is happening in case by some strange chance, he stopped once he was in the car.Did your vet do any bloodwork or x-rays when she was in for her episode? If not, I think they are needed. I worry she could have what is called Synchronous Diaphragmatic Flutter if this is basically an all day and night issue. This can be caused by severe electrolyte abnormalities, low calcium in particular.
Yes I took her to the vet for this on Tuesday. I also took a video of it for him just in case she stopped as well. He chose to keep her for the day and said since she was still somewhat eating and going to the bathroom that he thought she was ok. But I know my baby and this just not right to be constant like this.
Ok. Do you know if he did any bloodwork on her?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian