Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Why is my dog stool is dark almost black

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Is it black or a very dark brown?What consistency is it?Does she eat dirt or have any darkly pigmented foods or chews?Are her gums pink or pale/white?If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?How is April otherwise?
Very dark brown
Always
She eats Beggins
Pink
No
Gotten into some bones,socks and rubber toys
She drinks a lot of water but other than that she is just fine
Thank you,Did you mean her stools are firm? Or what is she "always"?How long has it been this color?When did she get into those items?Has she always drank a lot?
Hi again,I have not heard back from you but want to leave my thoughts for your return.Now if her stool is only very dark brown, that isn't a major worry Its black feces that we worry about since that can be a sign of gut bleeding. Instead to just see dark stools in an otherwise normal healthy dog, just suggests that she has been eating something darkly pigmented or her digestion is a bit off. So, if the Beggins are quite dark, then this could just be a sign that you are overfeeding these and may need to cut back. Otherwise, if we are seeing variation in stool without a variation in diet, this could be related to a brewing GI issue. Therefore, make sure she is up to date on worming and you could consider adding a probiotic to her meals to see if we can get this settled. While you do so, do keep an eye on her but also keep an eye on what she is eating to make sure there is nothing else (ie dirt, ashes from fires, etc) that could be playing a role here.Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )