Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What do you do if your 20 lb pug ate a product called No

Customer Question
What do you do if...
What do you do if your 20 lb pug ate a product called No scoot?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 1 year ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

How much of it?

How long ago?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
40 pieces 1 hour ago. She only gets normally one on occasion as a treat, she's never given recommended amt

Understood. That is a lot of fiber!

I am not concerned about any toxicity from this product, but it could predispose to stomach upset or a bowel impaction (constipation).

It would be like a person eating TONS OF FIBER all at once.

It's tough to recommend vomiting for a non-toxic product being ingested. It's also tough to suggest inducing vomiting, since normally we like to do it sooner than 1 hour.

So, options:

1. Do nothing. However! If any constipation develops or could be the opposite with bad diarrhea, you'll want to consult a vet ASAP for supportive care.

2. Inducing vomiting:

To induce vomiting at home, give 1 to 2 teaspoons for every 10 pounds of body weight of 3% hydrogen peroxide. ONLY use the 3% peroxide. If no vomiting within 15 minutes, the dose can be repeated. It is an irritant to the stomach lining, and that is why it causes vomiting. 1 teaspoon is 5ml of liquid.

Also,
http://www.doctordog.com/dogbook/dogvomit.html

So, toxicity is not a concern, but the risk for vomiting, constipation or bad diarrhea are all possible.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Andy, Medical Director