Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 16 year old chihuahua in poor health but still…

Customer Question
We have a 16...

We have a 16 year old chihuahua in poor health but still gets around pretty good, and today we noticed a worm like object coming from her vagina, reddish and white in color, it does not seem to be causing her any pain. any ideas please?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

She does have some small tumors on her belly, the object resembles a earthworm in size.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm puzzled by your post. There are no worms that reside in the vagina and the only visible earthworm-looking parasite you might see outside your dog is the roundworm. I would conjecture that a roundworm came out of your Chihuahua's rectum and landed on her vulva giving the appearance of it emerging from her vagina. I would worm such a patient with an over the counter wormer containing pyrantel pamoate available in a pet/feed store near you. Worming should then be repeated in 2 weeks.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian