Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a 16 year old chihuahua in poor health but still

Customer Question
gets around pretty good, and...
We have a 16 year old chihuahua in poor health but still gets around pretty good, and today we noticed a worm like object coming from her vagina, reddish and white in color, it does not seem to be causing her any pain. any ideas please?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she does have some small tumors on her belly, the object resembles a earthworm in size.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm puzzled by your post. There are no worms that reside in the vagina and the only visible earthworm-looking parasite you might see outside your dog is the roundworm. I would conjecture that a roundworm came out of your Chihuahua's rectum and landed on her vulva giving the appearance of it emerging from her vagina. I would worm such a patient with an over the counter wormer containing pyrantel pamoate available in a pet/feed store near you. Worming should then be repeated in 2 weeks.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian