Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog Little Girl is 14 yrs old she has been having Heavy…

Customer Question
My dog Little Girl is...
My dog Little Girl is 14 yrs old she has been having Heavy panting and these what looks like electrical shocks through her body. She will get up and walk around and sometime run into thing and its hard for her to stand on her feet sometimes. She has had two seizures about 2weeks apart can't afford to take her to the vet right now Is there anything I can do for her to help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Little Girl hasn't been doing well. I also apologize for the delay in our response but I suspect that some experts are reluctant to answer your question because we don't like to be bearers of disappointing information or bad news. Based on your description, I'm afraid that there's likely nothing that you can safely do for her at home. A dog who is unable to get up and walk is definitely one who needs to be examined by a vet ASAP. I know that this is probably not what you're wanting to hear, but it would be unprofessional and unethical of me to tell you any differently - and it would not help Little Girl.

I have concerns that she may have central nervous system disease based on your description of her new seizures and now progressing neurologic symptoms. Unfortunately since we don't routinely do MRI scans or spinal taps in dogs (because they are quite costly), we usually don't get a diagnosis of what's causing the issue. We can guess that it may be a brain tumor or other neurologic disease, but without advanced diagnostics there is no way to know for sure.

In cases like Little Girl my approach as a vet is to maximize her quality of life for as long as possible. After doing a physical exam your vet may have some ideas on how to do this, although they may also tell you that there's nothing that can be done that will reliably help. Once again, I know that you're probably hoping to hear better news, but I don't want to give you false hope or delay relief for your pet by not giving you my honest opinion.

Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian