Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our rabbit ate a Bugables Mosquito Repellent Sticker. Do I…

Customer Question
Our rabbit ate a Bugables...
Our rabbit ate a Bugables Mosquito Repellent
Sticker. Do I need to do anything.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Here is the run down of what is in it
We are not sure when he ate some of it. He is a Holland Lopear. It appears that one of these had fallen in his cage. It may have even been there since Monday. We are not sure when he ate it. Or if we need to do anything further or just wait it out. Thanks
2/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

This is a tricky situation for multiple reasons. This is because first we have a product that the company has only given scant details on the ingredients they have used, they are ones that haven't been studied for this species (though we know from people it causes GI upset and cramps), and even more importantly this carries a blockage risk. Therefore, we have to tread with care.

Now you are limited in what you can do at home since he is a rabbit. If he were a dog or cat, we could induce vomiting but this isn't an option as this species cannot actually vomit. So, our only option would be to administer activated charcoal (1-4grams per pound of his weight from your local pharmacy) to bind the oils. That said, we still have the sticker itself as a possible gut blockage. Therefore, I have to say that the best option is to get him to a local vet urgently. They can use their scope to to into the stomach and remove the sticker. And if they do so, that removes any blockage risk and reduced other adverse GI signs.

Otherwise, if that isn't an option, then we would have watch him like a hawk while encouraging him to eat more roughage and fiber. In regards ***** ***** we'd want to increase his hay but can also add pumpkin, squash, or even high fiber pellet feeds to help him push this through. As well, we can even give cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. This item is quite risky for a few different reasons. So, ideally, we'd want his vet to scope it out urgently and just remove that risk. Otherwise, we'd use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on him. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods. But any of those warning signs and we'd need him to his vet urgently.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian