Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

It's 4 in the morning and my 1 1/2 year old female labrador…

Customer Question
It's 4 in the morning...
It's 4 in the morning and my 1 1/2 year old female labrador retriever has been asking to go outto pee every 5 minutes . it seems like she tries to pee but noting comes out now and as soon as I bring her back inside she has the urge to pee again , I have never seen her like this . She's whining so I think she may be in pain too , What can I do to help her ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello Ruth. This is Dr. Holloway but you may call me Dr. H for short. Wow it is early there! Good thing I am 4 hrs behind you and I am still up to assist you with your concerns.

Well the symptoms you are displaying are very suggestive of a UTI.

UTI's are bacterial infections of the urinary bladder that can happen spontaneously in female dogs. These are very common and there are many things that can cause them. Some genetic predispositions do occur, also urinary calculi and stones can cause chronic UTI infections.

Do you see any blood in the urine Ruth?

Does it have a foul odor to it?

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

Frequent urination with straining indicates that Sophie may have inflammation of the urinary bladder. Everytime the bladder fills it is painful and leads the pet to immediate emptying of the bladder. - Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello Ruth. I see that you are still online but you may be having some difficulty viewing the chat and responding. I will stay up for a little while longer to see if you want to continue to conversation. I want you to have my undivided attention so that we may type back and forth until you are satisfied with the information I provide.

So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works, please type in a short response in the chat box below. Thank you. - Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi Ruth. I will be turning in for the night in a few. I will check on you again early in the morning to see if you were able to join the conversation successfully. Thank you. - Dr. H