Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog, a 7 year old beagel Russel mix, is having a problem…

Customer Question
Hello, our dog, a 7...
Hello, our dog, a 7 year old beagel Jack Russel mix, is having a problem with diarrhea recently. It comes and goes. When it comes it is very sudden. So fast that he does not let us know that he needs to go out and goes in the house. He has always been very good with letting us know when to go out. We have been going to a reputable vet that has diagnosed him with a doggie version of IBS and has prescribed him Hills I/d Digestive Care food back in the fall. This has worked for the most part but now it is coming on again. We are worried that it is now something more serious. He acts fine otherwise. We do our best to keep people food away from him but he begs very well. Should we cut it out 100% ? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I will help you.

IBD can be difficult to manage. But dietary consistency is very important.

That means no table food and no treats unless OK'd by your vet.

It is not uncommon for IBD to get worse and food and medication needs to be adjusted.

Let's try something for AJ's diarrhea. I'm sure he finds it just as unsettling as you do.

I've had very good results with Psyllium. This is a natural plant material that holds moisture. It absorbs the excess moisture of diarrhea or adds moisture to hard constipated stools. It is in Metamucil , but I don't want you to use that because it has other things in it.

Psyllium is used by veterinary nutritionists to control stool consistency. It is available in heath food stores in the bulk food section. It is very inexpensive.

The consistency is small plant flakes. You add it to a small amount of canned ID. Then he can have the rest of his meal.

How much does he weigh? I'll give you the dose.

A little under 30 pounds

Well Scott, i haven't heard from you. Oh, there you are!

Begin with ¼ tsp with each meal. You can increase it to ½ tsp if that make his stool more firm.

If the psyllium doesn't work be sure to ask your vet for an anti-diarrheal.

IBD is a serious condition and adjustments in diet and medications are common.

Hope that this helped you. Feel free to ask questions - even after the rating.

I will be here for another hour.

Hello Scott. Have you had a chance to try the psyllium?

Dr Marta

Hi ***** *****,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Aj. How is everything going?
Dr Marta Lepes

Hello Scott,

Please let me know if you found the psyllium useful.

And a gentle reminder to complete the rating.

Thank you,

Dr Marta