Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

While I was out of the house our dogs ate imported raisin…

Customer Question
While I was out of...
While I was out of the house our dogs ate imported raisin bread.
I was only gone 15 minutes.
I gave them peroxide and they seem to have brought up everything they ingested.
Since the raisins are baked in the bread is there any additional cause for concern?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. The chances are your Scottie Dogs will be just fine, if you managed to thoroughly induce vomiting within 15 minutes of ingestion then in my experience things will be just fine no matter what the toxin you are dealing with. The fact the raisins were baked into the bread is not going to make much difference if the bread was vomited up as well.

2. I am sure your dogs will be fine but just for your interest I am going to give you a link to an accurate article where you can read more on this toxicity in dogs : LINK

3. Also the chances are you will not need this but I should also be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again DJ,

I am just checking back in to see how your Scottie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the raisin bread ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Thank you so much! Both dogs are doing fine. The peroxide was administered within 10 minutes of ingestion. I am Chairman for Scottish Terrier Rescue and the two Scotties are members of one of my rescue families. I am extremely fortunate as my vet (a Scottie person herself) is usually available, but in this case time was of the essence. Going forward, I would like to know if you have a service that allows someone to pay per incident or must the subscribe to an ongoing service? Thank you again.

Hello again,

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how things were going, but that all sounds just fine ...

Please let me know what sort of payment method you want, it can either be singly per incident or a monthly subscription and I can sort it out with the site admin on your behalf.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Good Mrninng Dr. Nimmo-My apologies. I thought I had sent an update.
The two Scotties are doing well.
The family's vet feels there was no ill effects from their experience.I was so impressed with the speed and detail of your earlier communications.I was wondering if you offered a program where the user could pay per incident rather than enrolling in a monthly subscription?
If you do offer such a plan, what is the rate per contact?I think you offer a great service, but I don't see a lot of pet families considering an ongoing subscription.Thank you again and thank you for the article on grapes. This is an update to the one I share with pet families when we do public education presentations.Regards,Deborah

Hello again,

Of course I am very glad to have advised you and even more glad that your dogs have been unaffected by his experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott