Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 18 month terrier has an skin allergy where continually

Customer Question

My 18 month ***** ***** terrier has an skin allergy where continually has a dandruff like scale all over his body. I have only had him 3weeks but his vet reports from his prior vet suggest he has had it from 8 weeks of age. My vet has put him on Prednisone and he is down to 1 tablet every second day. His skin was very inflamed when I got him. This has settled down but he still has the dandruff. I brush him every day with a stiff brush. Please help. This is a real problem. Lynn Joils.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hello Lynn.

Absolutely, you need to ask the vet for a anti-seborrheic shampoo so you can get all that dead skin off the body.

Doing that type of shampoo twice a week for a few weeks will really help to curb that dandruff. Also, for pets with underlying allergy issues, frequent bathing can be of good benefit. Dogs don't inhale their allergies like us. It is absorbed directly through the skin. So, for a normal dog, bathing more than every 2 weeks is not good due to stripping the skin of its natural oils. But, for a dog with allergies, it can be helpful.

Example of a good shampoo:

Douxo Seborrhea Shampoo and is available online

But!

Since I can't do an examine get your vets blessing before purchasing it.

Hope that information helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already use a medicated shampoo. It is Malaseb.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It contains Chorhexidine Gluconate and Miconazole nitrate. I bath him once a week at the moment and will increase it to 2. Should I still brush him daily or increase that too Lynn
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Yes. That is for bacterial and yeast skin infection. You want a anti-seborrheic shampoo!

I would brush less. No need to brush every single day and certainly it wouldn't help the condition by doing more than that.