Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs dew claw broke and was bleeding two days ago. We…

Customer Question
My dogs dew claw broke...
My dogs dew claw broke and was bleeding two days ago. We have been wrapping it daily and putting Neosporin on it to prevent infection. She doesn't seem to be in pain at all. She is not limping and is continuing to play with our other dog. How worried should I be? Should I just monitor for infection or should I take her the vet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear about Bailey's dewclaw! You did a great job in keeping her away from it by wrapping it. My question is whether the dewclaw is still attached or did she tear the nail off? If the nail is still attached I do advise a veterinary exam to pull the nail which can be painful and should not be attempted at home.

If the dewclaw is gone then keeping her quiet, maintaining a dry and sanitary environment while it heals should be just fine. But if there is any swelling, discharge, or it is not healing I would strongly advise a veterinary exam

Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

It's still on. The top of the nail is still attached with the bottom exposing what looks like the nerve.
But she doesn't look like she's in any real pain and I don't see any pus or smell that would indicate infection
She also hasn't been licking at it from what we've seen

That is the pulp so yes I would advise a veterinary exam to have that pulled, assessed, and whether anti inflammatories or antibiotics are warranted...

I would not leave this even if she seems not to be painful and would advise having it pulled

Alright will do. Thank you

You are very welcome and best of luck to you both

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

One more thing. How much does removing a few claw normally cost? What is a fair price?

It really does depend on where you live and whether medications are needed. It should be <$100

Alright that's not bad. Was thinking it was going to be 500 or something

Unless there is fracture or something unexpected it really should not be. You can definitely request minimal treatment

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman