How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 13064
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 3 year old shihzuh sleeps from 8 pm to 7 am which is

Customer Question

My 3 year old shihzuh sleeps from 8 pm to 7 am which is great. He also will sleep soundly much of the day. He'll go out for a walk around 8 a.m, eat, then goes back to sleep for much of the day. I've taken him to the vet to see if he's OK and there's no health concern. He's not a walker...stops and sniffs at every piece of grass. Is this normal? He can sleep away most of the day.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Although it is not normal per se it can be a variation of normal for him. As long as he is not overweight, eating well, normal urination (they have a predisposition for certain bladder stones), and a healthy coat you should be just fine but I would encourage you to do some basic bloodwork / urinalysis on him that includes a thyroid panel and liver values since they also have a predisposition for liver shunts that can give the appearance of normal until they are ill.

If all is normal then you know you have ruled this out but if it is abnormal it might be the answer to why he is not an active 3 year old dog...

I hope this information makes sense. I have two Chihuahua's that would much rather sleep 90 % of the time (the other 10% eating) but I do get them out as you do to walk and they come to work with me for additional stimulation. I do understand what it is like to have a more relaxed dog and sometimes it really can be normal but best to ensure that is the case with your little guy

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am signing off in just a few moments ...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!