Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a fox red lab male aged 5 yrs does lots of running

Customer Question

hello i have a fox red lab male aged 5 yrs does lots of running very fit , we have just noticed a swelling on the LHS of skull toward back parallel with his front of his ear, about 1inch in diameter very firm no redness itching or pain or hair loss .he had a tick bite further to the front of his head several weeks ago successfully removed several weeks ago he has had advantix just worried any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the swelling above or below the skin?

2- Is the swelling firmly attach to underlying tissue or does it move with the skin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1.below
2. Moves with skin
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few more minutes, I am typing your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the swelling your are feeling is not related to the tick bite if the bite was further in the front. If this happened within the last few days it is likely to be an inflammatory process like: A cyst, infection (abscess), etc. If it has been there for weeks to months it is likely to be a tumor (malignant vs benign). To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi G,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Red. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter