Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8 lbs morkie takes Pepcid ac .25 mg twice a day. I think…

Customer Question
My 8 lbs morkie takes...
My 8 lbs morkie takes Pepcid ac .25 mg twice a day. I think I may have double dosed her last night. She vomited during the night. I really cannot remember if I gave it twice!! Ugh. it definitely seemed to be vomit rather than regurgitation which is more her usual thing. It was sort of foamy & the light color of the Pepcid ac tablet. Would one double dose be harmful?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you confirm she is on 0.25mg or 25mg of Pepcid?

Sorry it is a 10 mg tablet that I break into fourths. She get 2.5.
2.5 mg twice a day

Thank you for clarifying.

If she normally gets 2.5 mg, then that is a low dose for her and a double dose if not a major worry. Especially since she can have up to 4mg for her weight as part of normal daily dosing. So, we'd expect no harm here and only a bit of short term stomach upset as you have already witnessed. In that case, we'd want to give her stomach a rest for a few hours and then consider a light diet (ie cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder)) to get her settled. But again this should cause no long term harm for Tiger.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Thank you!!!

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B.

*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tiger. How is everything going?
nekovet