Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Have a dog with mega esophagus and he's been having a hard…

Customer Question
Have a dog with...

Have a dog with mega esophagus and he's been having a hard time with his food I make in meatballs for him. He's been vomitting occasionally. Can he take prilosec or zantac?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

He eats in an upright position and is carried around for 10-15 minutes after eating, but recently he's been spitting back up acidic fluid and I know it's burning his throat. Can I put something in his food to help him? I've liquified it some.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I'm sorry to hear that your fellow with megaesophagus has been experiencing painful reflux.

You can absolutely give these pups acid reducing medication like Pepcid (famotidine) or Prilosec (omeprazole).

Prilosec might be better for him as it has some promotility properties.

You can try either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

I would also extend the time that he is held upright.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian