Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

12 year old cocker ill now 2 weeks. Initially diarrhea and…

Customer Question
12 year old cocker ill...
12 year old cocker ill now 2 weeks. Initially diarrhea and avoided some foods. Switched to chicken, rice, and peas but interest in food declined. Now not very active and eats nothing. First blood drawn indicated a little anemic and gastritis. Vet put on antibiotics. Today x-ray shows large masses putting pressure on the stomach and pushing up toward the spine. Told that the masses are the liver and the spleen. Elevated liver enzymes and pancreatitis. Three injections today (carprofen, cerenia, and penicillin).
Dog has never appeared to be in pain and makes no move to avoid being picked up. Very alert but does not move around often. Wondering how everything swelled up so quickly. Was looking so well and happy two weeks ago. Even last week played in the snow. Now considering putting her down. Are we missing something?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am very sorry to hear that your Cocker is not doing well. It is possible for these issues to seem like they are coming on all of a sudden, but usually the problem has been going on for a while. They have just been able to compensate well and show very mild to no symptoms. Often unrecognizable as being ill. When they decompensate, though, the symptoms can come on quickly. My feeling is that if there are suspected masses in the abdomen, especially coming from the liver and/or spleen; it would be a very good idea to get an abdominal ultrasound done. While a biopsy of the masses, which can often be done with the ultrasound, is the only definitive way to diagnose if cancer or not, just the images generated by the ultrasound can give a lot more information on if these masses are potentially cancerous and where they may be pushing up against. I am not sure exactly what questions you have in regards ***** ***** but if you feel like you still have other concerns, please let me know. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John