Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 6 year old Labraodoodle, male, fixed. He throws up

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old Labraodoodle, male, fixed. He throws up often and over the last few weeks everyday, today he threw up in the morning (like everyday) and again in the afternoon. In the morning he throws up water mostly, today he also threw up food. What do I need to know before I take him in to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he currently on any medications?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Did your vet do any testing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
once a month trifexis
No medical conditions at last check up in September.
Only the standard tests for worms.
All vaccines up to date
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Has he been seen by the vet for the vomiting?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I brought it up at the check up- she gave me the new food and the snack before bed idea. No he's fine other than the vomiting, still likes to walk/run . Alert, sleeps on the couch when we're not looking. No bites, or scratching, no lethargy
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, your vet suspected Billious Vomiting as he was vomiting in the morning. But, if he is vomiting food now we need to suspect that there could be a different cause. You see, vomiting can be caused by either primary problems in the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. Common causes are: A simple gastritis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc.

I am going to make some recommendations below, if he continues to vomit after doing the below recommendations I would have him re-checked by family vet. Discuss with your vet about doing xrays as initial screening test. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination, xrays and fecal analysis as initial screening test.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter