Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dog licked the floor after it was cleaned with…

Customer Question
I think my dog licked...
I think my dog licked the floor after it was cleaned with diluted Mr. clean. He vomited frothy sputum (sm. amt. twice), sleeping now, which is not unusual for him.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if Spike has licked the floor and ingested a small amount of diluted cleaner, our main concerns would be GI upset, oral irritation and possible corrosive irritation to both. Now its good to hear that he has settled, but at this stage, we do want to keep a close eye on him.

Ideally, we'd want to rinse his mouth with cool water to remove any residue and can help neutralize this by offering some milk. Afterwards, we can monitor while having him on a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Any more signs of nausea and we can also treat with an antacid. Common OTC options we can use here would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, it sounds like Spike had very little and has likely brought up any he ingested. From here, we can use the above supportive care while we keep a close eye on him over the next 48 hours. If we see any more vomiting, any appetite loss, belly pain, or any sores/redness in his mouth; then we'd want to plan to have him seen urgently for treatment to counter any irritation this may cause his upper GI.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Thankbyo.

You are very welcome,

Please take care,

Dr. B.

*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Spike. How is everything going?
nekovet

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)