Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can I give my dog aspirin and fever?

Customer Question

Can I give my dog aspirin for pain and fever?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, you can give low dose buffered aspirin as long as Cheyenne isn't on any other medication, has no pre-existing health issues, isn't currently suffering with any GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss), or has clotting issues (since Aspirin is a mild pain relief but is also a blood thinner). If you choose to give this, it can be given at a dose of 5mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours. It needs to be given after food and you could even pre-treat with an antacid (ie Zantac, Pepcid). And if she is still sore after this has been given, then we'd need to consider a check with her vet (and of course letting them know she had this in case she needs a stronger anti-inflammatory from them).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)