Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have 2 question I have a dog 15 pounds. I just got home…

Customer Question
I have 2 question I...
I have 2 question I have a dog 15 pounds. I just got home from a weekend trip and he hasn't been sick until I got home could that be caused by anxiety. He is 13 years old. And he not as lively as he used to be. Also he falls going upstairs is that caused by arthritis
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, if he vomited while you were away due to anxiety, then we'd expect that to start settling now that you are home. Still, it facilitate settling his stomach, I would note that you could use an antacid with your lad. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that something more is going on and that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Though if he keeps it down and is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** second question, arthritis often is an issue at this age and likely why he isn't great on the stairs. Now if he is having lots of trouble with his joints, then we may have needed to consider a dog safe anti-inflammatory like Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, or Previcox.

That said, if he is only having problems with the stairs, then we can try him with milder OTC supportive care measures. Specifically, we often find glucosamine/chondroitin helpful for dogs in these situations. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and examples of ones we typically use for dogs include Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in dogs with mild signs and would be worth considering here. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.

Further to this, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for him, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for your lad.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian