Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My six year old golden retriever was bleeding through the

Customer Question
nose a couple of months...
My six year old golden retriever was bleeding through the nose a couple of months ago - tests showed there was a growth but at the time posed no issues. Now the dog is having seizures and the vet said that he has a tumor growing into the brain - he is sedated on valuum but the vet is now asking that we do an MRI to determine next steps at the cost of $3,600 when he said that there is no way to remove it ? Please advise. What's the prognosis? what should we do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am so sorry to hear about your Golden retriever. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The reason for doing an MRI is to determine if the tumor can be removed surgically, although that would be expensive with no guarantee of removing it all safely and completely. It would show how big it is, where it is, etc.

The prognosis is likely not good. If it keeps growing into his brain he could have more frequent seizures, he could go blind, and it could eventually kill him.

Your choices are not great: 1. Start anti seizure medication like Keppra or Zonisamide or Phenobarb which might be better for seizure control than just Valium.

2. Do the MRI to find out the extent and location of the tumor, to see if there is any chance of surgery helping.

3. Consult a veterinary oncologist to see if there is any chemotherapy that might help.

If he were mine, I would probably go with seeing an oncologist to find out all my options. A board certified veterinary oncologist would know the latest treatments and protocols, and having a consult with one would be where I would start if he were my own dog.

Let me know if this helps and what else I can answer or help with.

If he is still bleeding from his nose, I would consider using the Chinese herb Yunnan Baiyao which may help control bleeding. I would also make up nose drops of saline solution with a few drops of epinephrine to put in the nose when he bleeds.

I hope you were able to see my answer. Was this helpful? Do you have any more questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about O. How is everything going?
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian