Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My mini dachshund 5 yrs old female desexed, is having bouts…

Customer Question
My mini dachshund 5 yrs...
My mini dachshund 5 yrs old female desexed, is having bouts of restlessness, crying, whimpering and randomly biting the ground and at times squels almost. There are midgies where we live in south australia and Im wondering if this is the reason for her behavior
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your dachshund! Whenever I hear of a dachshund acting uncomfortable, my first suspicion is a back problem! Unfortunately these little guys are prone to getting slipped/herniated discs in their back. The severity of the symptoms can rage from mild pain to paralysis. Sometimes it can be hard to tell just where they are painful also. You can try to see if she is painful by first taking her muzzle and pointing it slowly up towards the sky, then down to the ground, then side to side to check for neck pain, then starting at the base of her skull and moving backwards in increments, pressing down along her spine to check for any sensitivities. You can also manipulate each leg to be sure she doesn't have any leg pain. Another test you can do is to take each paw one at a time (while she is standing) and flip it so that the top of her paw is on the ground, then let go and see if the returns it to a normal position. A normal response would be to immediately flip it back. If it takes her a few seconds to put it back, then that would be another sign she is having a back issue. To treat this problem we usually prescribe a muscle relaxant, a pain reliever, and either a steroid or NSAID, and strict confinement for several weeks. HEre is an article on this condition: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3223

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian