Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I took my female dog to vet yesterday and they said she had…

Customer Question
I took my female dog...
I took my female dog to vet yesterday and they said she had a uti and kept her in and they used a cafeter they sent her home at 12 olock today she went twice to pass urine but has not been able to go since 3 o clock she is trying but not passing any is that alright
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did they send her home with any treatment or give any pain relief along with that antibiotic?

If you press on her abdomen between her back legs, is she tender or sore?

Did they just think it was an infection? No issues with urine crystals, bladder stones, or tumors?

they gave me antibioc fother to take from tomorrow they said she has a urine tract infection she is really thight and she is panting and hot

Thank you,

Now female dogs do not tend to have the risk of bladder or urethral blockage that we see in male dogs So, if we are sure that its an infection and none of those other issues are present, then I'd be suspicious that she is showing non-productive straining due to pain and bladder inflammation. If you have ever had cystitis, you will know it is very uncomfortable and gives animals the impression that they need to urinate even when they have no urine to pass (if she has had a catheter that could have made the area even more irritated). With this in mind, I'd not be panicked here but I would suggest ringing her vet about pain relief. Since they have just seen her, they should be happy to send this home. And often with use of dog specific anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl), we can reduce that bladder inflammation and settle this distress while the antibiotics clear the infection. So, that would be our best option for your lass at this stage.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

enrofloxacin is the tablet she was given

That's fine.

Since we posted at the same time there, I am not sure if you can see what I just said. So, I will repost just in case - Dr. B.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)