Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 10 year old small mixed breed female..terrier,

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old small mixed breed female..terrier, peke, pom . two months ago came into the living room and found her on her side in a puddle of urine. She got up , I washed her and she was fine. Tonite asleep I heard her frailing around like she had her paw caught in her choker collar, whinning then she got up again urine all over the floor and her one side was soaked. she acts fine. What is going on??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was she conscious when you found her the first time?

Any signs of disturbance around her like she may have been paddling or having a seizure?

Did she seem distressed about her paw being caught?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she never lost consciousness, only sawing her like pawing trying to get up, I thought her paw was stuck it was not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lasted maybe less than a minute then she is up running around like usual except soaking from urine on her one side and the floor
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

When we have dogs that suddenly collapse, paw at the floor, lose of bladder control, but then are totally normal a minute later; seizures are the main suspect. Seizures can be very short and appear without warning. Often they are so quick that owners don't appreciate their dog has had one unless they have it in front of them or we have a last sign like being wet from urine.

Now since Coco is 10 years old and has had 2 suspect seizures in two months, we do have a few concerns. Toxins or head trauma would be unlikely but this could be a sign of epilepsy progressing or related to changes in the brain (a bleed, swelling, growth, etc). As well, we can see it related to liver or kidney issues, though usually those dogs will also have other signs (ie increased thrist, urination, weight loss, appetite changes, etc)

In this situation, since she has had 2 this recently, it is worth having her checked by her vet. They can rule out liver issues with bloods and perform a neurological examination to narrow down our concerns. From there, they can treat her for the seizures (we usually do if they have more then one every 6 months) if need be or at least dispense rectal Diazepam for you to have on hand if she has another. And by taking that approach, we can reduce the chance of any more of these episodes for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco. How is everything going?
nekovet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)