Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My toy poodle has become sensitive to being touched she lets…

Customer Question
Hi my toy poodle has...
Hi my toy poodle has become sensitive to being touched she lets out a load yelp if she gets touch anywhere on her body she has eaten tonight and been for a walk it seems to be getting worse?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely your gal has suffered an injury to a disc in her back. This is very common in older poodles because of their conformation. Since she does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas although this can become a generalized pain that can show anywhere on her body. This can happen when she jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as she is eating, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine your girl to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Thank you for your help I have taken
her to an emergency hospital last night and they have given me the same diagnoses ,good call thanks for advice

I am so happy that your gal will feel better soon! I know this can be scary and good for you to take her to the ER vet. Thanks for the update!!

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian