Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was vaccinated this afternoon and has been vomitting…

Customer Question
My dog was vaccinated this...
My dog was vaccinated this afternoon and has been vomitting ever since
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear that Millie isn't feeling well and is vomiting after being vaccinated earlier today.

She may be having a low level vaccine reaction or she may have eaten something that you are unaware of or she may have picked up something else before her vaccines, as we cannot vaccinate for everything.

My main concern for her is if she is very lethargic and if we cannot get her to stop vomiting she will become dehydrated. I would feel better about her if she had vomited a few times but felt great, and the vomiting had now stopped.

What color are her gums and tongue? They should be a nice bubblegum pink. If they are very pale, white or gray that points toward shock and she needs an emergency room visit.

If you press gently on her abdomen is it soft and comfortable or tense and painful? If it is tense and painful then an emergency room visit is best.

Does she have any facial swelling or difficulty breathing? If so that warrants an emergency visit.

If her color is good and her belly is comfortable there are a few things we can do at home.
To try and settle her stomach tonight you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These are quite safe and can be used for a a few days if need be.

No food for at least 12 to 24 hours.
In 4 to 6 hours you can offer ice cubes or a small amount of water. If that sits well in a couple hours offer clear broths like low salt beef or chicken broth.
If those sit well 12 to 24 hours after the acid reducers are started offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained, and 2/3 boiled white rice. Give small meals frequently.

If she starts vomiting again even after the acid reducer is given, has a tense painful belly, refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) or has facial swelling and difficulty breathing then she should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.

If she does well with the bland diet and acid reducers however then feed her that for a couple days and then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

She is a 10 pound maltipoo and did not eat anything foreign , she started to vomit 45 minutes after her booster shot and is shivering on and off . Her gums are still pink but she seems very nervous and can't sleep either.
For about an hour she also was shaking her head like a dog does when they get wet, but that stopped after an hour or so

I'm glad to her that her head shaking stopped. It's likely she was having some itchiness at that point.

This does sound like a vaccine reaction.

She probably is feeling pretty crummy now.

You can try one of the acid reducers I mentioned to try to ease her nausea, but this might require an injection to ease her nausea and a cortisone injection to stop the reaction as well as fluids to rehydrate her and rebalance her electrolytes.

If she continues to vomit and is unable to settle then an emergency visit is best.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian