Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 yr old female spayed boxer is bleeding significantly…

Customer Question
My 10 yr old...

My 10 yr old female spayed boxer is bleeding significantly out of her vagina. It appears there is some swelling and the blood is thick and dark.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

She was spayed at 3 months and is 10 years old female boxer who has dark plasma type blood coming from her vagina. Her vagina appears to be somewhat swollen.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She has and off and on appetite. Has not really been acting so much herself of late however.
1/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with your boxer. Bleeding and swelling as you've described arising so many years after spaying is worrisome for neoplasia (cancer) in an elderly Boxer. Her vet will want to scope your boxer's vagina looking for a mass lesion associated with the uterine stump, cervix, or vagina. If such a mass can't be visualized, an abdominal ultrasound would be the next diagnostic of choice in order to visualize what can't be seen by scoping. Please note that an otoscope (instrument used to scope ears) is not an appropriate type of scope to thoroughly examine the vaginal vault; hence, your boxer might need to be referred to a specialist internist (please see here: www.acvim.org) for scoping.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian