Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog chewed his bed 5 days ago and 2 days after he threw up a ball of string then this m…

Customer Question
My dog chewed his bed...
My dog chewed his bed 5 days ago and 2 days after he threw up a ball of string then this morning threw up a mixture of bed stuffing and fabric. When should I become concerned. There is also fabric pieces in his stool.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. Thank goodness that Whiskey is managing to bring up pieces of the bedding from both ends, so to speak, although it's obviously not a good thing that he chewed up his bed at all, is it. I've had this sort of thing happen to me in the past with my puppies and it's difficult not to worry about an obstruction.However, it's quite possible that all of the offending material will be eliminated from his body given enough time. Signs that this isn't the case will be as follows: Continued vomiting, with or without pieces of his bedLethargyDisinterest in foodAbdominal pain or discomfort. I might feed him multiple small meals through the day of a bland diet such as chicken and rice or one with additional fiber which may help to move things along. But other that, there's not much more that I would suggest you do at home but continue to monitor his stools for evidence of the bedding. If fortune is smiling on you both, then he won't become obstructed such that he'll require surgery. I hope this helps and that he's one of the lucky ones who manages to come through his "dietary indiscretion" episode unscathed. Deb

I replied but I cannot see it so I'm not sure it went through. But basically my reply was asking how long until I know he's in the clear so I can stop worrying. I thought 48 hours was how long to pass something so being 5 days later has me worried it's still sitting in there

I'm sorry if there are issues with the site:(That's a really, really difficult question to answer since transit time for this sort of thing is quite variable. Just to give you an example: one of my dogs ate a kitchen sponge and yet I didn't see evidence of it until 10 days later when pieces of it showed up in her stools. She never vomited or showed any signs of an obstruction (which I was understandably quite concerned about). Clearly the pieces remained in her stomach until they passed into her intestines and then into her stools. I've seen dogs vomit pieces of a leash two weeks later and yet never show any other signs. So, I'd love to provide a specific timeline when he's in the clear, but, unfortunately, that's not going to be possible. Deb

OKay so he's definitely a usual hungry puppy that has not changed. Just that string he threw up or coughed up (there was no food or throw up just literally a ball of string 2 days after he consumed) last night he did throw up his food and then early morning throw up that mush of bedding. Besides that he's been holding down his food. Which is a good sign?

Yes, the fact that he's not vomiting his food on a consistent basis is a very good sign. Hopefully, whatever remains of the bedding which was still sitting in his stomach was evacuated this morning....but, obviously, we can't entirely know this for sure. It's possible that there's more in there or that pieces have now moved into his intestines where they might cause some problems for him....or not. It's nerve wracking, not knowing one way or the other without testing such as a barium swallow. But at this point, he's not showing signs of an obstruction, so I'd just continue to monitor him. I'd have him seen if the situation changes, although I'm certain that's your plan. Deb
Hello again,I'm just following up on Whiskey. How are things going with him? Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian