Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog possibly ate a blood pressure pill. it was either…

Customer Question
my dog possibly ate a...
my dog possibly ate a blood pressure pill. it was either levothyroxine 50 mg or amlodipine besylate 5 mg. it was a little over an hour ago.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much does he weigh?

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but since this is time sensitive I will leave my thoughts for your return.

First, the Levothyroxine is not particularly worrisome. It is a drug we use in dogs and has a wide safety margin. That said, the Amlodipine is a bit more risky. We do also use this in dogs, but this could cause adverse signs if he has gotten more then the tiny doses we use. The main signs we have to watch for with this type of drug are lethargy, depression, weakness, slowing of the heart/breathing rate, or even fainting.

Since it has been about an hour, we do have a few options. We can induce vomiting to get the tablet back, administer activated charcoal to bind the drug, or monitor and treat as needed. To start, we can induce vomiting at home by administering 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, the Levothyroxine is a low risk tablet and not a worry, but we always have to tread with care if they get ahold of Amlodipine. So, we'd want to consider the above if you think he got that one and monitor closely. Any of those adverse signs, and we'd want to get his local vet involved for IV fluids to flush this out and symptomatic care to keep his blood pressure up while it runs its course.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Hi Sharon,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet