Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 3 month old lab. She has been having a lot of

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 3...
Hello, I have a 3 month old lab. She has been having a lot of diarrhea since Fri night. She ate a bird like Tuesday night. We can't find any bird only feathers in a huge pile. So we are assuming she did. Fri before the diarrhea I also gave her 2 large treats whicheck she had never had before. So I'm not really sure what caused the diarrhea. She is up playing like normal. Eating and drinking like normal. I'm not sure what I should do. Or if there is something I can give her to help stop the diarrhea.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Oh Callie!

First, I would note that both items could potentially cause diarrhea though the bird eating would have been more likely to introduce unfriendly bacteria into her gut to proliferate and then cause these signs.

Now I am glad that she is well in herself just now but we do need to tread with care. Persistent diarrhea can lead to dehydration and nutrition loss/energy loss quite quickly in our wee ones. Therefore, we'd certainly want to start some supportive care to see if we can settle her diarrhea as quickly as possible.

To start, I would suggest putting Callie on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea passed. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Furthermore, since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. To start, you can check her gum moisture to ensure they are not getting dry or sticky. As well, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** that diarrhea, we can start Callie on a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria (ideal if she has given her gut a bacterial challenge with that bird). So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. Though with her recent history, dietary indiscretion sounds a likely culprit. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care now. Of course, if she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. They can also check a stool sample to make sure there are no infectious agents being missed. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with antibiotics +/- anti-parasitics as needed to settle her stomach, and get her stools back to normal.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Another thing is we do have white oleander trees. We fenced them off and trimmed them back. However I suppose she could have gotten some leaves that blew off. I know these are toxic. However from what I have read she would have dies before 24 hrs if it was that?

Hello again,

You are right, they are quite toxic to dogs. Though what signs we may see depends on how much is eaten. Ingestion of small amounts isn't fatal and could just cause GI upset. Its when they eat more that it harms the heart and causes death. So, it is still a concern here and we do need to consider removing the plants if they are blowing leaves to where she can get them and she is the kind of dog that would eat them.

All the best,

Dr. B.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian